[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Tue Feb 25 20:09:11 EST 2014

Similar to others, I've been using OTA, with tvheadend (a web based
backend to replace mythtv) and xbmc.

It should be possible to setup
recording schedules for these shows (and handle removing them
occasionally using a shell script.

-------------------------
SUBJECT:
Re: [kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord
DATE: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:58:43
-0500
FROM: CrankyOldBugger
TO: KWLUG discussion
REPLY-TO: KWLUG
discussion

Some great input so far in this discussion.

Let me throw
a wrench into the machine.. My wife just reminded me that she likes
taping daytime talk shows (Marilyn Dennis, Steven & Chris, etc.) on the
satellite's PVR during the day, then watching them at night before she
goes to bed.

If we switch to an OTA antenna setup, how would she tape
her shows? Keep in mind that she's not computer-savvy and wouldn't want
to mess with a complicated menu.

On 25 February 2014 18:33, William
Park  wrote:
 On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 04:53:08PM -0500, R. Brent
Clements wrote:
 > As for what equipment seems to work best, our most
effective
 > installation in SW Kitchener used a pair of our cheapest
antennas and
 > picked up all of the Canadian content available, plus
most of the US
 > stations transmitting out of Buffalo as well. This
antenna has a VHF
 > element integrated into it, which does help pick up
a couple of
 > Canadian channels that are unlikely to transition to UHF,
which is
 > something that all of the US has apparently done.

 How do
you connect the two antennas together?

 I have a 4-bay antenna. Where I
am in Mississauga, CN Tower and Buffalo
 are 90 degrees, and I'm getting
all CN Tower stations and some Buffalo
 stations. I want to try two
antennas, one pointing at CN Towers and the
 other pointing at Buffalo.
But, I don't certain how to connect the two
 antennas together. Online
reading says just use 2-way splitter with
 exactly same cable length.
But, I'm not sure.

 > A preamplifier will almost always help. You can
split the signal
 > after the amp's power inserter. If you need to split
it more than
 > once sometimes a distribution amp can be of benefit as
well. A four
 > way splitter is almost always a two way split with each
output split
 > two ways again. Three way splitters will usually have
outputs labeled
 > -3.5dB and -7.5dB. The signal is stronger on the
-3.5dB because that
 > one is not split a second time like the other one
is.

 Right now, I am not using any preamp and the cable length is 30m.

I'm told, this is the reason why I get so few Buffalo channels.

 PS.

Could this be a topic of short show/tell/demo for KWLUG?
--
 William

 kwlug-disc mailing
list