[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 19:48:37 EST 2014

Oh!  Presentation?  Uh, no.  I... uh... don't think I could do that.  I am
not very good with that sort of thing.

As for MythTV vs XBMC?  Well, it's a choice, really.  MythTV has an
excellent 'backend' that schedules and keeps track of recordings very
well.  Decent support for most video capture cards as well.

On the other hand, XBMC has hundreds of plugins and has a slick interface
that works very well...  I let it handle the downloaded shows and movies
and the streaming plugins.  Myth is for the 5 live TV channels + recording.

XBMC does have support for Myth as a PVR backend, but I've never gotten it
to work.  Has something to do with my setup, considering I've upgraded the
same DB since 2004 or so.  Looking through it, I can see things I recorded
in 2005. :)  Heh.  They won't be re-recorded at least!

One thing I didn't mention is how I get my torrents.  I use a fork of
sickbeard, which finds torrents, grabs torrent files and dumps them into a
folder to be processed.  Once completed, the torrent client moves the files
to a completed folder and sickbeard renames, moves and updates XBMC.