[kwlug-disc] Cutting the cord

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:26:56 EST 2014

I know there's a mountain of discussion on the web about ditching the cable
TV, or in my case satellite TV, but it's not always information that's
pertinent to Canadians.  So permit me to ask my questions here..

Note that I can download any TV show I want via torrents (using RSS feeds
for automation), provided it's not something live such as hockey night in
Canada or some other sporting event, so watching "Big Bang Theory" every
week isn't a problem.

But if I go to internet-connection only, can I more or less dial up any TV
channel (CBC, CTV, Global, History Chanel, etc.) on the internet and watch
what they're broadcasting at that moment?  Would I be able to watch CTV
Kitchener news at 6:00 from my TV?

One of my TVs has a network port, so streaming to that one isn't a problem,
but for the other TVs in the house, how can I watch any movies that I have
on my network shared drives?  Do I need some sort of device to convert
ethernet or wi-fi to HDMI?

If I got an HD antennae, would I be able to get any decent stations up in
North Waterloo without having to build a 50' tower?

Most importantly, have any of the fine people in this mailing list cut
their cord, and if so, how's it going?  Are you happy, or are you missing
your TV provider?