[kwlug-disc] MySQL Backups

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Feb 14 18:28:02 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Giles Malet <gdmalet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/14/2014 03:06 PM, Joe Wennechuk wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an open source free mysql backup and monitoring
>>

> I'm not personally familiar with it, but I know phpMyAdmin is pretty
> popular. Not sure of its capabilities though :-)
>
> http://www.phpmyadmin.net

It is a popular tool, and it can backup databases, usually as a download
file, and has to be run interactively. It often times out with large
databases.

Because it is widely used, and often not kept up to date with security
patches, PHPMyAdmin is a popular target of automatic attack scripts. I see
that every day on servers I administer, though it is not installed.

If you use it, do keep it up to date.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.