[kwlug-disc] Where to fix an Acer A500 tablet?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 10 22:01:18 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Gordon Dey <gordon.dey at happydeys.ca> wrote:
> On 14-12-09 10:44 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> [edit]
>> And the TABLET NOW WORKS AGAIN!
>>
>> Amazing ...
>
> Congrats Khalid!
>
> Two weeks ago, you didn't know what an hot air gun was, now you're an
> 'expert' :)

Yeah. Do it once, and be an expert ...

> How about a presentation? (JK!)

The project started by me trying to install a custom ROM on my Android
tablet (the Acer A500 in question). During the process, I kept getting
partial partitioning and flashing, then it refused to respond when in
APX mode (a mode for Nvidia Tegra devices where you can partition,
send bootloader images, operating system images, recovery images,
...etc.)

That was why I posted here in the first place, to see if the tablet
can be fixed for a reasonable price.

I gave up on it and started to look for alternatives, hence the
mention of the Kobo Arc 10HD (amazing display, very fast, but missing
many things [back camera, SD card, ..etc.]).

Nothing as hackable and having a great community like the Acer A500/A501.

Now, it is running OmniROM 4.4.4 (KitKat), with root (SuperSU), and is
amazingly fast. Orders of magnitude faster than I have ever seen it in
2.5 years.

So, I am sticking with this tablet for a while.

I can demo the partitioning and flashing, and how to get a new ROM on
the tablet if needed  [even in the January meeting for half a slot]

Though I am not sure how to project that so people would see it. There
is a micro HDMI port on the tablet, and I have an HDMI to VGA cable.
But when I tried it with the one VGA monitor I have, it did not
display anything. I tried it in ROM mode, and when the table is
working normally. No dice.

If someone has a way to project the tablet's screen, I am good for
half a meeting. For example, a webcam/video camera that can connect to
the projector? Anyone up for that?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.