[kwlug-disc] e-Readers -> e-Libraries - corners creased, sticky notes and bookmarks left in ... wha?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:31:02 EST 2014

I've had a bit of experience with a couple of Kobos.  First off, I bought
one of the first ever Kobos, which I believe was called the "Touch", but
don't quote me on that.  It was, and still is, a wonderful reader.  But
keep in mind that all it does it read.  I charge it up and it sits in my
Royal Reading Room for at least a week before it needs a charge again.
There's a power button, a couple of menu buttons, and the large D rocker
for turning pages.  All it does is present ebooks, but it does that rather
well with its black on white screen.  Easy on the eyes, easy to run.

I was so happy with this first Kobo that I later went out and bought a Kobo
Vox.  I got one of the first ones made, in fact.  This is by far the worse
POS I've ever had to work with, to put it mildly.  Slow, sluggish,
unreliable, prone to freeze-ups, and just stubborn.  Even the charger is
proprietary; even though it looks like a standard USB cable, the Kobo won't
accept any non-Kobo AC adapters.  It took them a year after I bought it to
get Google Play to work.  They no longer issue updates AFAIK.  And even
Cyanomod (sp?) can't do a root for this thing.  The only reason I haven't
tossed it is because my daughter bought a nice jacket for it and I didn't
want to look ungrateful.

So, as you can see, I have mixed feelings on Kobo!

Also, I should add to Glenn's comment: download Calibre and use it.  Forget
about whatever software comes with whichever reader to ultimately decide
on, Calibre is better.  My only complaint about Calibre is that they issue
new updates too frequently.  It seems that everytime I open the program, a
new update is available.  It shows nice dedication on the developers'
behalf, but it can get annoying.