[kwlug-disc] need a new router -- which one?

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Fri Dec 5 09:15:08 EST 2014

That's the router I just set up a couple months ago. How long did you
say you had it for? :)

Curious how you have it setup? Prone to over heating? EM or dirty
power from nearby motors (e.g. furnace room/dryer)? I lived in a house
as a student and we kept our routers in the utility room (furnace,
laundry etc.). We had to replace our routers every 8-12 months and I
concluded it was either the power was 'dirty' or the routers didn't
like the EM in the room/closet. I ran a WRT-45GL for the better part
of a decade after moving out of that house (and it still works).

TP Link Archer C7 v2 is OpenWRT capable (official Barrier Breaker
support). It adds 802.11ac and 16MB vs 8MB over the WDR4300. They use
the same SOC so I would expect performance would be very similar if
run to the limit. It carries a fairly hefty premium for these few
features (WRT4300 ~$70 at CanadaComputers, Archer C7 V2 ~$140
shipped).

~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...