[kwlug-disc] Cross platform, cross-protocol messaging client

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:12:02 EST 2014

Skype is a complete black box. Libpurple, and the various clients that
use it (like Pidgin, Adium, Bitlbee, etc) can pretend to have Skype text
chat functionality by running Skype in the background and accessing the
friend list and chats via an API.

Google has also been transitioning away from XMPP/Jabber with their
Hangouts. The Jabber interface for the 1-on-1 chat in Gmail is still
available, but who knows for how long, and, from what I understand,
adding new people now to your friend list may not be possible.