[kwlug-disc] Talk tomorrow: Collaborating On-Line: An Analysis of Communication Networks for Linux Kernel Developers

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Mon Dec 1 15:29:56 EST 2014

In case anyone missed this, there's a talk tomorrow at the University
of Waterloo Math 3 building, from 2-4pm. I'm not sure how much of it
relates directly to linux kernel development, but it looks
interesting:
http://wici.ca/new/2014/10/collaborating-on-line-an-analysis-of-communication-networks-for-linux-kernel-developers/

Collaborating On-Line: An Analysis of Communication Networks for Linux
Kernel Developers

How do geographically-dispersed, Internet-enabled, and cross-sectoral
collaborations shape the development of technical systems? In this
talk, I analyze a whole communication network of Linux developers from
January 1 2013 — June 31 2014. I compare the structure of this real
world network with two models grounded in theory and substantive
literature: small world, and structurally cohesive. I show that the
developer network is structurally-cohesive, with 2-4 densely connected
cores consistently occupying the center of the network from month to
month. I discuss the substantive and theoretical implications of this
research for understanding open source development and the
collaborative design of large technical systems.