[kwlug-disc] xmpp.kwlug.org [was: Sharing desktop in Xubuntu]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Aug 30 04:30:36 EDT 2014

 > I haven't had a one-on-one chat with a Google Chat user in the last
 > year unless they were using a third-party XMPP client like Pidgin.

Yes you have - you and I tested this a few (not THAT many?) months back.
IIRC, Hangouts on Linux / Windows, and Google Talk on Android. (Might
have Hangouts and Talk backwards on some of those.) My end, that is.
Forget what you were using, but I believe you started at (Linux/pidgin)
computer then carried on otherwise with phone, as I did/tested.

I know when I poked at this with my bro not long ago (Mac,
non-Windows/Linux user), Hangouts worked everywhere, except on his BB
where only a google talk app was available. Including Hangouts on an
Android he has. It all worked.

FWIW.

Ah ... none of these were Google WebUI.

And none were Google's Voice & Video thingie which I think was to
replace talk / webui, but Hangouts took it all over before saturation.
And Voice & Video was their web 'google phone' skype competitor - fee
phone calls in states, including to landlines, geo-locked against Canada
thus far. (Feels like Google is still trying to figure out and implement
what it wants this to be when it grows up, then Skype purchase happened,
and the announcement that started this part of this thread. So no
coherent strategy / response / implementation by Google yet to date?)

Surely there are XMPP room servers out there just as there are IRC
servers? For what started this, isn't a kwlug room on such as that all
that's needed rather than our own XMPP server facility? ourproject.org
comes to mind.

Bob - given your twitter/identi.ca meeting blogging / chatting and
others video efforts, does XMPP tie in to any of this somewhere /
somehow? Should this not all be bundled together in some fashion? e.g.
Is it time for a kwlug BigBlueButton server, not just an xmpp server, or
something?