[kwlug-disc] Upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Tue Aug 12 14:13:24 EDT 2014

D'oh! I had my own Homer Simpson enlightenting with something similar a
few days ago.

Some people make backups. Some do not.
Take the first group and consider, how many of these actually run
through a restore cycle on a new machine to:
a) test / verify the backup
b) test / verify the process
c) test / verify the operator

Please excuse the OS involved, as the lessons apply to *ix as well.

My exercise was to install a new XAMPP w/Apache w/MySQL etc on laptop 1.
And then move a MySQL database from laptop 2 to laptop 1, the one with
the new XAMPP install.
Toss in a move of the web-wpps under htdocs from laptop 2 to laptop 1.

I elected to move the MySQL DB as if I was doing a backup and restore.
The web-apps were a simple file copy.

After a few hours, success!

Lessons learned:
It may be a good idea to, before the barn burns down, simulate a system
restore on a shiny new machine with the backups in hand.
And with the source machine remaining operational while the simulation
exercise is taking place.

I suspect that some of the DevOPs people out there are saying, "D'oh!
Yes! we knew that" .

JohnJ