[kwlug-disc] Synology, and proprietary disk formats ...

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 6 12:48:59 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 07:29:49PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> The news was out about a Synology ransom ware exploit.
>
> http://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/08/05/1250223
>
> But what caught my eye is this comment about the disk formats being
> proprietary and unreadable on a Linux system
>
> http://soylentnews.org/comments.pl?sid=3232&cid=77644
>
> Hostage but for another reason ...
>
> Posting this for those who use Synology in this group ...

Here we go. As if Cryptolocker was not bad enough it has now jumped
the operating system gap to embedded devices. Is all your firmware up
to date? Are the manufacturers of your firmware even producing updates
for your stuff? It sounds as if the Synology people are supporting
this issue, but there are lots of organizations that don't.

Systems administration is getting more and more unpleasant.

I think Bob Jonkman just got some ammunition for the October KWLUG
presentation.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org