[kwlug-disc] Multi-bay docks ... 1 at a time??? [Was: Re: Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 5 21:59:18 EDT 2014

John:

Thanks. I lost sight of that rather earlier reference to chipsets that
Khalid picked up on / notes below. However, I suspect you picked up on
'chipset' from my comment that most SATA controllers (or motherboards)
don't put in PMP capabilities as they don't have to meet spec. / keep
costs for the masses down.

Which makes me think (thank you), if one intends to run multiple sata
drives over a single link, inherently you will have to buy a controller
card (such capabilities not being otherwise present, as above). Assuming
PMP is not present in the sata express spec., nor any sata spec coming
any time soon.

But that does just lead to one of my original speculations - one would
have expected a product containing multiple bays to have a PMP
controller within the unit capable of multiplexing the multiple drives
over the single sata link. That they are not required to be sold that
way just goes back to Caveat Emptor. Sadly.

Nor would one reasonably expect to see such a controller in any laptop,
leading me to conclude and agree with what someone said some while back
- esata, vis a vis USB 3, is dead. Again, sadly, given the overhead USB
imposes.

Khalid:

Do you remember your test configuration?

I would not have thought any single non-SSD sata drive could saturate
the link. I would have thought it even less likely over USB 3 - which is
how I thought you were running things.

Thank you and Lori - it would not have occurred to me that a CPU/chipset
would be designed/behave as nefariously as above for the dual bay docks.

You two seem to be pointing out that the SATA III 6Gbps spec. is a pipe
dream - to get it every interconnection in the chain must be able to
keep up, and if the 'bridges' themselves cannot ... I guess all I can
say, again, is Caveat Emptor. I suppose.

Is this all really saying, for maximum speed, you're going to want to
buy a dedicated sata controller card? But then you're going to be
limited by bus speeds (PCIX?), anyways? Not to say that PCIX wouldn't
keep up, but something in the chain won't? And, e.g. You can never feed
it over that bus such that any sata link will get near max. spec?

Am I following any or all of this correctly?