[kwlug-disc] Multi-bay docks ... 1 at a time??? [Was: Re: Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 5 12:07:54 EDT 2014

On 14-06-30 09:53 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> In an ordinary situation, maybe. However, in this computer I am
>> planning to use all the internal SATA connections for other drives.
>>
>> Honestly the differences between eSATA and SATA still confuse me, even
>> after reading the Wikipedia article. Is it true that not all SATA
>> ports on a motherboard can be converted to eSATA with these
>> connectors?
>
> One important difference is hotpluggability.
> This depends on your chipset. There is a table here listing the supported
> chipsets.
>
> https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features
>
> That page also lists PMP, if you want to attach more than one device to the
> same eSATA cable. Although, when I tried it with a dock that has 2 drives,
> one drive would have normal speed and the other would be really slow.  ...

moving vms between computers (especially future laptops - single esata
port / USB 3 availability / no PMP controller) correctly?

Happened to poke and google around the web on this over the weekend.
Playing with vbox and wanting to move vms around my internal net -
leading to the need for GBs of extra space on both source and
destination. Over my net, ~35GB vm takes just over an hour to copy, slow
machines. Fast machine on one end about 1/2 hr. Same for machine to
external drive on USB 2 (to and from -> 1 hour). So happened to poke
about docks / what they and storage might cost. Idea of USB 3 / SSD is
attractive, but seems cost prohibitive. Also leads to the idea of
running the vm off external device, and schlepping to different
computers as needed. e.g. Hardware failure. Even if I don't have USB 3 &
eSata on every machine today, presumably each new machine will at least
have USB 3.

Given Khalid's note above that points out that dual-bay docks are
essentially pointless (more than 1 drive, slow on other drives), I
wondered why / what's up. Seems like whatever (multi-bay) such is
plugged in to must be -TO- a port multiplying sata controller or this
slow drive problem is run in to. Since PMP isn't required for a sata
controller, most everyone will be out of luck unless they know to
specifically search for such capability beforehand. (Making it seem like
multi-bay docks are are marketing ploy - most things you might connect
to can never take advantage of it?)

Seems that only 1 drive can be talked to at a time (Command Queuing?) /
something PMP must be in the sequence to do the 'multiplexing'(since any
one drive can't saturate a SATA link unless it's an SSD) to try to keep
the link to the computer going full bore.

Yet it does not seem that PMP is available at the device
(dock/adapter/drive) end - it has to be in the controller, and I expect
its unlikely for laptops to have them. Does this not:

- render multi-bay docks pointless (unless a 'duplicator' or RAID)?

- make simple adapters attractive e.g.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=95_96&item_id=35385P
more sensible - except still have problem of providing power to drive if
large capacity / 7200 RPM? (Let alone, not normally stocked?)

- if eSata,
http://www.amazon.ca/eSATA-External-Bridge-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00DHCC7NQ/ref=sr_1_2
or
http://www.amazon.ca/Anker%C2%AE-Uspeed-Converter-Adapter-External/dp/B006J2L0ZM/
?

- render eSata useless vis a vis USB 3. i.e. New laptops will not likely
have multiple eSata ports - if any at all, but will likely have multiple
USB 3 ports (yet USB can do the multiplexing itself so no need for PMP?)

- make NAS / RAID-JBOD units make more sense as it will be managing the
(single) link to computer flow? Yet the point of adapters/docks is quick
disk flipping about, rather than digging into a (NAS) enclosure!

- unless a laptop, live with digging into the case when moving drives
around. Back to advantage of cages, e.g.
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=175

So, it seems a single bay dock is the only thing that makes any sense,
and if multiple drives are needed, purchase multiple single bay docks.

Yet I see 3TB limitations on drive sizes for such, and 6TB drives are
now here, with 8TB drives soon to come. I do see that
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_679&item_id=047936
notes 'Up to 6.0 TB*', but it is not clear that that does not mean MAX.
3TB PER BAY!

I'm guessing this has more to do with the USB chipset in use only able
to understand MBR drives, not GPT.

Seems like a net. NAS makes more and more sense, but schlepping GB of
images over the 2Gbps network vs local 6GBps sata III seems
counter-intuitive.

Am I understanding the availability of possible solutions to moving vms