[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Aug 2 12:39:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 12:55 AM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> What CPU do you have?

This is a 'server'. Actually a desktop in the basement, with quad code AMD
Athlon II X4 635 Processor @2900 MHz.

> I found that VMs are CPU-limited.  I installed and ran few distros on
> /dev/shm/ (tmpfs) just to see.  It was faster than Raid5 disks, but not the
> order of magnitude that I was expecting.

I was trying the measure the overhead of two quiescent VMs doing nothing.
The overhead of VirtualBox in context switching is much higher than KVM.
This context switching will hurt real performance because it is wasteful,
CPU cache, ...etc.

Again, for occasional testing this is what I need. I have not benchmarked
real load inside the VM, since I am not planning on doing this. When I do
this, I go to Linode for $10 a month, and get SSDs, ...etc.

Side point that may interest the CLI users out there ...

I don't use virt-manager because I want to do things from the command line.
This is why I use virt-install instead. I also found that virt-viewer is
enough to view the console. I had it installed on the laptop then use:

virt-viewer -c qemu+ssh://server-name/system domain.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.