[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Aug 2 09:56:17 EDT 2014

But even so, presumably the ec2 magic is duplicable on the stock iso's.
Just a matter of configuration, if one could easily discern them.

Let's also remember that it's likely Khalid's longer term intent would
be the ability to locally fire up / snapshot client drupal installs to
beat up / experiment / test on - so USB and video aren't germane, he
wouldn't be locally accessing the machines in that way. e.g. any
resolution determined would have to be (script?) duplicable on a remote
where no local video access (e.g. VNC) would be possible.

I do trust his comparison for his own purposes, relative to each other -
he would well know the apples to apples problem.

Anyone know how well KVM, vmware, vbox, coexist with each other? I can
see vbox as happier casual user experience for learning, while KVM for
multiple local isolated web sites / vservers.

I would guess, even on 'fast' local hardware (i.e. not too many
vmachines), sites will never be as snappy as providers, providers
presumably having multi-GB internet links that would be cost prohibitive
in a residence.