[kwlug-disc] Rogers Hybrid Fibre plans

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Apr 29 12:08:31 EDT 2014

So, I called Rogers to cancel cable TV and internet.

After a long conversation, it turned out that the cancellation fee is $20
per month per service, and we still have 3 months before the contract is up.

So, instead of the 35 mbps down, 3 mbps up unlimited plan that I have now,
they put me on the new Hybrid Fibre 60 mbps down, 10 mbps up, with 320 GB
limit (which is almost double what I use).

The total cost is ~$81 including tax for internet and basic digital cable.
This is cheaper than the ~$113 that we were paying before. That is less
than their advertised price for the internet alone on their site with basic
cable free.

This is valid until the contract is up, and then they said they should see
what promos are available (but probably I will cancel)

Here are speedtest.net results before and after. Some variability specially
the evening, but I had the service for less than a day. It required a new
modem too.

Before, on 35/3 unlimited plan
 11:16 PM EST  26.39 Mb/s  3.30 Mb/s  17 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km
  8:42 PM EST  50.08 Mb/s  3.31 Mb/s  18 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km

After, on 60/10 Hybrid Fibre 320 GB plan
 11:56 AM EDT  48.96 Mb/s  10.10 Mb/s  30 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km
 10:32 PM EDT  14.56 Mb/s  10.99 Mb/s  18 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km

Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken