[kwlug-disc] Rogers Hybrid Fibre plans

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Apr 29 12:08:31 EDT 2014

So, I called Rogers to cancel cable TV and internet.

After a long conversation, it turned out that the cancellation fee is $20
per month per service, and we still have 3 months before the contract is up.

So, instead of the 35 mbps down, 3 mbps up unlimited plan that I have now,
they put me on the new Hybrid Fibre 60 mbps down, 10 mbps up, with 320 GB
limit (which is almost double what I use).

The total cost is ~$81 including tax for internet and basic digital cable.
This is cheaper than the ~$113 that we were paying before. That is less
than their advertised price for the internet alone on their site with basic
cable free.

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

This is valid until the contract is up, and then they said they should see
what promos are available (but probably I will cancel)

Here are speedtest.net results before and after. Some variability specially
the evening, but I had the service for less than a day. It required a new
modem too.

Before, on 35/3 unlimited plan
 11:16 PM EST  26.39 Mb/s  3.30 Mb/s  17 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km
  8:42 PM EST  50.08 Mb/s  3.31 Mb/s  18 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km

After, on 60/10 Hybrid Fibre 320 GB plan
 11:56 AM EDT  48.96 Mb/s  10.10 Mb/s  30 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km
 10:32 PM EDT  14.56 Mb/s  10.99 Mb/s  18 ms  Toronto, ON  ~ 100 km

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.