[kwlug-disc] POSSE, or cross-posting [was: kwlug moribund? [Was: Creative Mornings]]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Apr 28 16:42:34 EDT 2014

The blog plugins I'm using to do cross-posting require developer API
keys from Twitter and Facebook, and recently both of these services
started demanding mobile phone numbers before handing out those API
keys.  The Twitter API keys I got a year ago (without divulging a
mobile phone number and contributing to their demographics marketing
coffers) is still working, but when I tried to set up some new
accounts and API keys for someone without a mobile phone I got stuck.
So this person is excluded from full participation in online society.
That's what closed, proprietary services will do for you...

I did manage to link my personal Twitter account to Facebook (that
probably used OAuth), so now a post to my blog sends a notification to
the !Fediverse, which bridges across to Twitter, which then posts in
Facebook. Haven't found a way to include Google+ in that chain yet.
The !Fediverse @KWLUG account bridges to the Twitter @KWLUG account,
but since http://kwlug.org doesn't support PubSubHubbub I can't get
http://kwlug.org/upcoming/rss to automatically post to the !Fediverse.
 And I don't suppose anyone is willing to supply their mobile phone
number for a Facebook API...

What are you using to cross-post from Google+, Cranky?

POSSE may be of interest: http://indiewebcamp.com/POSSE

- --Bob.