[kwlug-disc] Dropping Bell, Phase 5

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:38:34 EDT 2014

Some good points there, but perhaps I should clarify something about my own
situation..

I don't care too much about online TV services like Netflix because I have
my torrent machine running nicely.  I use RSS feeds to automatically
download my favourite shows as soon as they're in the feed (usually an hour
or so after the actual broadcast).  These torrents are almost always
commercial free.  Only drawback is that I usually have to wait until Friday
to watch Thursday's Big Bang Theory..  I can live with that.

Essentially, using torrents negates the need for a PVR, at least for
"not-live" shows.  Live TV is another fish altogether.

Now being half-deaf myself, I'm particularly fond of subtitles.  Generally
I go to opensubtitles.org or subscene.com for subtitles; they're both
pretty good.  I have seen glimpses of programs that automatically download
subtitles on-the-fly but I haven't seen one that works reliably yet.  I
keep one half-pooched ear on the ground for news on that..

My living room TV doesn't do a good job of offering subtitles from my media
server so I'm thinking about a system where I can automatically hard-code
subtitles into the shows' mkv file.  Handbrake or ffmpeg might do the job.

The WD Live TV does offer live streaming services, but they're optional
AFAIK.  I'm just interested in making a nice menu system so my wife can
watch her shows (via torrents) without having to navigate the server's FHS
to find anything.  Ideally a menu system similar to what we had with the
Bell TV, where she just has to look at a list of shows, select Show XYZ,
then select the episode.  All with big thumbnails and descriptions.  I
could build a dedicated server to do this but that might be overkill, and a
waste of real estate in the TV cabinet...

I'm trying to con the daughter's skinny boyfriend to crawl up into the
attic and help me string network cables to two of the bedrooms so we don't
have to rely on spotty wi-fi.

I'm waiting for the videos of Khalid's roof-walk before I decide on an
antenna for live news and sports TV (would it be appropriate to say "film
at 11" here?)

I'll keep the Roger's PAYG plan in mind, but I doubt the missus will go
along with that.  She hates Rogers!  Still, those rates make good fodder
for bartering with the other providers.

Thanks for your comments, though.  Some useful stuff there.  Especially the
one about Canada Computers.. any reason to go there is a good one!