[kwlug-disc] Dropping Bell, Phase 5

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Apr 28 14:34:53 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Note: Bell typically CDMA, Rogers GSM, i.e. SIM card.

Don't think this is true anymore. Bell has been SIM based for quite some
time, though they (and all the others) lock their phone to their network.

> What I will most bitterly lose when I lose basic cable tv is my pvr.

My next project after tying the loose ends for the antenna: a cheap PVR.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/homeworx-homeworx-high-definiton-digital-converter-box-hw-150pvr-hw-150pvr/10273439.aspx

ATSC input, and HDMI output. Bring your own USB drive and record on it.

It is $70 at BestBuy, $60 at FactoryDirect, and $50 on Amazon.
So perhaps the first two will price match.

The other thing I will want is closed captioning and/or descriptive video.
> Haven't sleuthed those aspects out yet.

The Over The Air channels I mentioned in my post yesterday all have closed
captioning working well.

Did not see an option for descriptive video in my TV (though their is one
in Rogers Netbox).

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.