[kwlug-disc] Dropping Bell, Phase 5

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:07:03 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Joe Wennechuk <
youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Depending on the usage WInd seems to be the best bet for cell service.
> They are only good in cities. There is a big spot between Kitchener and
> Toronto where roaming charges can really add up.

Even some spots in KW-Cambridge have spotty reception:
http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php

However, if you don't live or work in one of those areas it is probably not
a big deal. I do live in a marginal coverage area, and I added up the
difference between an "unlimited data" wind plan (aprox. $40/mo) and a 6GB
data Bell plan (at the time, special $60/mo). Assuming what I think was
fairly generous roaming usage for an occasional user (maps while travelling
or biking in the countryside), I still would have paid less or the same
amount per month.

For what it's worth, I ended up going with Bell because of coverage and
because I could join a pre-existing family plan. I'm glad I did, because
I've ended up tethering with my laptop and working remotely quite a number
of times. From cottages, on the bus or train between cities, that sort of
thing. I think this would have been prohibitively expensive with Wind.

Prior to this, I had similar usage patterns to CrankyOldBugger's wife,
using a non-smart phone. Virgin Mobile, 7-11 and PC Wireless all had pretty
decent pay-as-you-go plans.