[kwlug-disc] Dropping Bell, Phase 5

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:37:10 EDT 2014

Well the satellite TV is now gone (I have receivers for sale cheap!) and
the home phone is in the process of being ported to Ooma, so that leaves me
with only one more Bell product to dump: Wifeski's cellphone.

What recommendations for non-Bell and non-Rogers cellphone providers do you
guys have?

She is a low-volume cellphone user, mostly just calls home like "how do I
find Suchandsuch Street?"  She texts a little bit as well.  Data is
optional, but not necessary.

She'd like to keep her current cell phone as she likes the slide out
keyboard.

I'm on Telus myself, so there's an advantage to having her account merged
in with mine, but I'm open to suggestions on a smaller provider like those
guys who have kiosks in the mall if they have an unbeatable deal.

I've gone through the various company websites and I'm familiar with the
pricing structures, etc., but I was wondering if you guys had really good
or really bad experiences with any of the smaller companies like Koodoo,
Solo or Wind or whatever.

By the way, now that the satellite TV is gone, I'm seriously considering
Western Digital's Live TV box for Wifeski's TV.  It looks pretty good, and
as far as I can tell it's the best device for streaming the stuff I have
already downloaded to my servers, whereas devices like Roku or Chromecast
seem intent on selling you monthly subscriptions to Netflix, etc.  I'll
keep you guys informed as this progresses.