[kwlug-disc] trimming posts

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 22 04:41:25 EDT 2014

We could go on on this forever, and it would never end. Flamewar.

People do what they do regardless of original intent and design.
Especially if that original intent and design is not the current medium
and environment. Over the years of this list the use percentage of
bottom posting vs top posting has steadily declined. Especially as the
mediums and devices upon which the content is consumed evolves. It is
what it is. Yes, people are lazy. Or more likely, don't care / it's not
important to them. You can decry this, but you're just wasting your own
energy. People's (mass) behaviour is what it is, and very difficult to
collectively change. You can and will have some amount of success, as
this thread will, but you will not achieve 100% compliance. At least not
in this list, per its history. People do what they do because it works
for them, whether or not it is what they are supposed to do or how it
was supposed to be used. It is what it is. Particularly in this small,
geographic specific, e-mail list.

I do get Paul's point - I merely said the argument given is specious.

Agreed, the reminder to trim was welcome. Not using signatures is part
of that. I, for one, skip reading them - I'm not interested,
particularly in the redundant repeat - the header shows me who it's
from, and all I read. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Principles are all well and good, but to assume all participants know,
will follow, or care, isn't. We do not require such adherence for
membership. People use it as is convenient to them, regardless of
original intent or desire. It is what it is.