[kwlug-disc] Ooma and leaving Bell

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 16 00:19:47 EDT 2014

Before going too far, check out Factory Direct. Have a 2 line, 8-handset
+ answering machine base from them, dect 6.0, some years ago. (Around
the time we talked dect 6.0 here, Khalid. And WNDR3700, 5GHz, getting
off 2.4GHz, OpenWRT,and so on.)

Jeff - let us know, in your journey, if you have voice quality issues.
Would be glad to know of any / comparisons between handsets you might have.

What is the 2nd HD handset buying you here? 2nd registration?

Just because you have multiple lines doesn't mean you need more than one
handset. All lines can be associated with the same registration. (I
assume, guess it depends upon the provider.)

The thing to remember and distinguish between here is receiving vs
making. For receiving, you can forward everything (like other providers,
including free ones) to this one.

Moreover, at least with an ATA, which in the end this probably is, a SIP
hole in your router, and dynamic dns, the forwarding can be direct to
your device, avoiding the provider and any costs. (Assuming VoIP to
VoIP. You still need the provider to catch POTS originating calls,
they're the bridge.)

For making, the ability to have multiple registrations is useful. Some
can work around the lack by dialling 9 for this provider/line, and 8 for
a different provider / line, and so on. (Locally programmed.)

But I'm only one guy, and can put only so many phones in a room, so
everything coming in and going out on the same handset is useful.

I do get, though, it could be convenient to know that this handset
ringing is the business line (ignore after 5pm?), and the other is the
house.