[kwlug-disc] Ooma and leaving Bell

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Apr 15 22:10:27 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well I'm interested in the second line as I have a lot of people, well, a
> few people from Stratford who could call me locally when I lived in
> Waterloo, but after moving 3 miles north I'm now long distance.  So getting
> a Stratford number might encourage them to phone me once in a while...  :)

Yes, provided the Stratford numbers are available.

> Currently I have a set of Panasonic POTS wireless units where there's one
> base unit that plugs into the phone system (or in this case, the Ooma) and
> the other two units feed off of the one base from anywhere in the house
> wirelessly.

I had exactly that, then got the Linx for $50 off Amazon, and added a new
cordless set with its own answering machine. If the other line is busy, you
can call from the second one.

> I plan to run that set along with an Ooma HD handset, perhaps.  So if I
> understand it correctly, I wouldn't need the Lynx just yet?  Or is that
> necessary for the second line?

The Ooma HD will be the same price as the Linx and will save you buying a
second cordless set (~$60). But the cordless set will have 2 handsets and
an answering machine. So, your call.

> On 15 April 2014 18:19, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Jeff Smith <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> I'm very impressed with the online dashboard.  I never considered going
>>> to a website to get my voicemail messages; it's a nifty-neato feature.
>>>

>> Yes, the dashboard is impressive. They really did think about it well,
>> and implemented it well.
>>

>>> I think I will order one of the dedicated Ooma handsets to go along with
>>> the POTS phones I have hooked up now.
>>>

>> Consider a Linx for $50, and add your own cordless phone. You will have a
>> second line with multiple handsets.
>> --
>> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>> 2bits.com, Inc.
>> Fast Reliable Drupal
>> Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
>> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
>> For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
>> wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal