[kwlug-disc] Heartbleed affected sites

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:20:55 EDT 2014

That's my point - it DOES hurt to change it.

Time consumption to do so, and time wasted later trying to remember what
you changed it to -this- time. Or chase down how you recorded it (e.g.
browser cache / password lookup). Now repeat for every other place
you've been encouraged to (pointlessly) change your password as well,
which of course you did because the media knows all.

Now multiply by number of users out there. And again by number of
accessing devices. What a waste of resources.

This is my issue - all very well to take corrective action to known and
quantified issues, but not so to send everyone to chase their tail
everywhere 'just in case.' The I.T. industry could and should do a
better job for its users. I.T. is a tool, not an end in itself. The tail
should not be wagging the dog.

-----

Your note makes me wonder ... wherefore OpenID on all this? (In the
sense of being a single password.) And I wonder if (some day?) OpenID
could go change all your passwords for you, and the user need only
change their OpenID password.

Given your note, I'm guessing that makes some sense to you too, if two
factor authentication is used for OpenID there. [OpenID == (set of
OpenID like services, which seems to more and more include gmail accounts)]