[kwlug-disc] Heartbleed affected sites

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 12 04:29:15 EDT 2014

That's over simplistic.

You can't extract a password that isn't there.

*IF* it is even in the packet you get.

*IF* it was being exploited at the time.

*IF* you are of interest to them.

*IF* they are interested in doing damage to that provider of services.

Lot of IFs. Lot of FUD.

What's being protected?

Will you know?

Will you care?

Not saying now that exploit known they wouldn't run with it.

But patching is simplistic.

I take your point about SSL keys - IF it was in the data returned.

But with properly isolated systems, it should only be the front end
impacted. On the assumption that nobody inside your firewall is
exploiting it.

Lots of IFs all around.

But I take your point.