[kwlug-disc] Advanced(?) Git usage question

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Thu Apr 10 08:37:13 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-10 02:52, Chris Frey wrote:
> ... it was a specific bugfix, and there is nothing in git to help me find that except explicit and consistent
> commit messages that I can search on.

As a new Git user (and budding enthusiast) I am following this thread
with interest.

IMO The quoted comment above makes the case for:
a) frequent commits - often isolated to a given issue and
b) explicit and consistent commit messages

This might suggest the use of an additional tool, a bug tracking tool,
Bugzilla perhaps.

I do realize that this adds to the administration overhead and this
brings me back an comment I offered earlier.

IMO For the administration angle, The [overhead] [ ... ] is an evil,
maybe even a necessary evil from a 'best practices' point of view.

FWIW I have been using a text file as a log file and have, when I
remember, logging git activity to this log file, for example (using bash):
$ git status >> mygitlog.txt
$ git commit -am "this is a message to be associated with the commit" >>
mygitlog.txt

Regards
JohnJ