[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS localhost* and internet fail - where to start?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 9 19:15:15 EDT 2014

What he said. Plus ...

Every so often I find resolv.conf gets trashed.

Thus ping 8.8.8.8 works but ping google.com does not.

Solution: add 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' into resolv.conf and get on with your
day.

i.e. You'll have a better ability to troubleshoot the issue once you can
web browse again.

Thus, John, you have to distinguish between name resolution issues and
routing issues.

So, your next friend (having resolved any name resolution issues above),
is traceroute (tracert on windows). [You don't have to like / live with
Google DNS name resolution if you don't want to, permanently, but this
helps get you through that moment.]

So, if you 'traceroute 8.8.8.8' (or 8.8.4.4) you should see it hop along
out to the world, and if it doesn't / gets stopped, you've narrowed down
the size of your haystack. traceroute is more useful than ping here, but
ping is so much faster / easier to rip off / not have to wait for as you
do with traceroute.

Given multiple machines, you can do it from both to see if the problem
is unique to one or the other. (For example, a statically added route
lying around.) Routers frequently have a ping ability too. Taking ISP /
internet connectivity from house to world off the table sooner rather
than later can help retain sanity.