[kwlug-disc] The sweet(?) smell of power supplies

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon Apr 7 13:10:53 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-07 11:34, Jason Locklin wrote:
> Build the biggest machine possible for the coin, ugly and loud, stick it in a closet somewhere ....

True story. A previous employer, a manufacturer of PBX telephone
systems, was sued because one caught fire and the facility where it was
installed, a nursing home, burned down. The local distributor had
installed the PBX in a closet, along with other stuff in storage.

While this might sound pedantic, PCs should be installed or set up such
that there is no impediment to the ventiallation. I have sees desks ar
Ikea and Staples that look nice but do not, IMO, allow for ventilation.
Without adequate ventilation YMWV.

And in keeping with the pedantry, I would hope that with jobs that take
3+ days to render, there is a UPS in the mix somewhere.
Spring has sprung and the squirrels will be running among the trees and
along the hydro wires soon enough. And, in my neighbourhood, from time
to time, a few squirrels are made extra crispy while causing momentary
brown/black-outs.

And then there are the storms. Last summer, I was without power for 4
days. A kerosene lamp and a transistor radio came in handy.

JohnJ