[kwlug-disc] The sweet(?) smell of power supplies

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Apr 7 12:55:43 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

>  After a bit of research, I found out that the reason the Android
> emulator would not run on the discount PC was because the processor itself
> was "crippled", i.e. the Intel Pentium processor did not support the
> instructions required by the emulator. Specifically, the SSE2 capability
> was missing.

I had a similar problem in the past month or so. An old repurposed PC that
has an AMD Semperon would not show Youtube videos, nor any other Flash
movies.

Turns out that Adobe built their Flash for Linux with SSE2, which this
particular Semperon lacks.

The solution was to remove flashplugin-installer and install gnash (GNU's
Flash clone).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.