[kwlug-disc] Cloud services

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 4 16:22:27 EDT 2014

Yes and no.

Regardless of the self-hosted cloud service, there is redundant value
only if a copy is off-site somewhere. Lest fire take out the home and
it's all gone, for example.

Perhaps the critical criteria is, like you intimate, who's getting their
fingers into your remote pie.

So, ownCloud, for example, can be hosted elsewhere - there are both
public / commercial servers, and talking with a family member to ask
them to keep a box in their house for you. (Problematic is if they're
not on unlimited bandwidth / taking out some of their speed at bad
times, during replication.)

So, more like varieties of apples, than apples and oranges. (Add in
things like photo sharing, and ... it gets worse / more complex.)

Couple things I found out from the fire department when I checked into
some things a few years back:

- only in about 10% (I think) of the cases, does a fire consume
everything. It's not often. (i.e. A computer hard drive may still work.)

- biggest threat is from floors falling down. Closets and under stairs
are stronger / less likely to burn to the ground, than other areas of a
home. And it's arguable which is more likely to lead to an unreadable
hard drive - falling / bouncing / sinking down from an upper floor, or
the ceiling above falling upon it. (Computer cases are pretty strong -
something falling would have to crush it, and the hard drive within it,
to leave an unreadable hard drive.) [In any such situation, you have
massive issues on your hand - whether it takes a couple hours, a couple
days, or a couple weeks, to regain access may not matter. There are many
other things on your mind at such times.]

- metal filing cabinets, within closets or under stairs, provide
sufficient protection, and have far more room than fire proof cases. For
things like a stack of backup dvds. And cost a whole lot less per
square/cubic inch of storage space.

None of which deals with the problem of theft, of course. Fostering good
neighbours, keeping an eye on your place when not there is thus useful.
As is hiding a box / NAS somewhere unlikely (so the thieves don't spot
it and entirely clean you out, if they only have time to go after all
the obvious 'goodies') seems prudent. Like in that closet, under the
stairs, in that cubby, or within locked metal casing like a filing cabinet.