[kwlug-disc] KWLUG 2013.09.09 ZFS and btrfs

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 11 11:57:20 EDT 2013

Here is what I started in terms of a presentation information packet.
It still needs work and information. Please help make the document
better. I will try to post a version to the website this week (today?)

----

Timing

- We start the meeting with announcements (10-20min).
- We have a 10-15 min break a little before 8pm. If you have a
  full presentation slot, please schedule this break into your
  presentation.

Visuals

- Please make sure your presentation works at a resolution of
  1024x768.
- If you are showing interactive terminal sessions, make sure the
  terminal font is large enough -- we recommend [WHAT? 14 point?]

Audio

- Unfortunately, the 97 Victoria presentation space has a LOT of
  background noise. People need the speaker system in order to hear.
- We have speaker stands, but no clip-on microphones.
- If you want your laptop to transmit sound through the speaker system
  please let us know in advance.

Equipment

We provide the following by default:

- A screen.
- A projector. This projector has VGA input. It handles a resolution
  of [WHAT? 1024x768]
- A speaker system and wired microphones.
- Wired or wireless internet (wired is much more reliable). Not all
  ports or protocols may work -- if you have doubts, please contact us
  and we can schedule a dry run.

We may be able to provide other equipment on request. Please make your
request at least a week before the presentation if possible.

- A DVI to VGA converter.
- A (full-size) HDMI to VGA converter.
- A presentation laptop that can display PDF slides.

Recording

- By default, we record KWLUG presentations and livestream them. If
  you wish not to be recorded, please let us know (preferably in
  advance).

- In addition to taping your pretty face, our recording crew likes
  transmitting desktop screencasts. To do this they require remote
  access to your desktop.

  + On Ubuntu, you can enable "Remote Desktop" or "Desktop Sharing".
  http://www.ehow.com/how_6802096_enable-remote-desktop-ubuntu.html

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/320964/remotely-connecting-to-a-raring-ringtail-desktop-from-windows-8

  + On other distributions, you can install a VNC server. One popular
  choice is tightvnc.
----

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org