[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile? [Was: Re: Powerline networking - viable?]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Oct 26 17:07:40 EDT 2013

Adam Glauser wrote:
> the building code requires a special type of sheathing for cables
> run through ducts

At a networking course many years ago I was told that regular cables
give off toxic fumes at fairly low temperatures, so you need
plenum-rated cable in air-handling spaces (most spaces above
drop-ceilings are air-returns). But then the instructor said that in
Europe it was determined that at high temperatures the plenum cables are
even more toxic than regular cable, so that material has been banned.  I
think California banned them too.

I don't know what Ontario building codes require, but the cable supplier
should be able to tell you which cable type is appropriate for your
application.

--Bob.