[kwlug-disc] 8-port GB home switches?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Oct 24 19:31:51 EDT 2013

On 24/10/13 19:06, unsolicited wrote:
> Looks like I've just had another home 8-port GB switch go belly up.
>
> This must be the 3rd or 4th in less than 10 years - Trendnet, old
> D-Link, Cisco. Two newer D-Link (green, white case), a 5-port and 8-port
> are still going, but are probably the newest. So now I'm just waiting
> for them to die, too.
>
> Don't know whether I'm burning them out via multi-GB backups slinging
> back and forth each night or what, but I can't say I'm impressed by the
> robustness.
>
> One was even a Cisco Smart Switch [what a joke]. (My guess is the
> 'smart' was an introduced intermediate level device between dumb and ...
> 'useful'. As in access lists, command line, and the like - not just a
> web interface for VLANing.)
>
> I see refurb Linksys N600 EA2700 at canada computer for $25. 2.4 & 5GHz,
> 4 internal antennas, 4 GB ports. Hmmm. Viable if it were 8 ports.
>
> From an access / security point of view, presumably one only cares at
> the point of inter-network connection (provider) - one trusting one's
> own home. Since a provider is never going to be 100 Mbps up, any old
> router with OpenWRT or the like should satisfy access / security
> concerns. (?)
>
> I see various switch manu/models at Canada Computer, including Adtran,
> Asus, Cisco, D-Link, Engenius, HP, Linksy, Netgear, TP-Link, Trendnet,
> WD. With various monikers like Home, Green, and Metal. Starting at $25.
> (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_820&item_id=030491)
>

> In this day and age, does one just consider switches disposable, and go
> with cheapest available at the time?

At the core; "You get what you pay for". Adding to that, consumer stuff
is never as good as stuff designed for business. So my personal approach
to kit for home is to start in the business section and see what my
options are within my given budget.

For 8-port switches, I've had decent luck pushing piles of data through
D-Link DGS-1100-08
(http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/business-solutions/switching/smart-switches/easysmart/dgs-1100-08--8-port-gigabit-easysmart-switch).

In the end, no switch under $100 is going to be particularly awesome.
But in that range, these have treated me well.

--
Digimer
access to education?