[kwlug-disc] 8-port GB home switches?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Oct 24 19:06:32 EDT 2013

Looks like I've just had another home 8-port GB switch go belly up.

This must be the 3rd or 4th in less than 10 years - Trendnet, old
D-Link, Cisco. Two newer D-Link (green, white case), a 5-port and 8-port
are still going, but are probably the newest. So now I'm just waiting
for them to die, too.

Don't know whether I'm burning them out via multi-GB backups slinging
back and forth each night or what, but I can't say I'm impressed by the
robustness.

One was even a Cisco Smart Switch [what a joke]. (My guess is the
'smart' was an introduced intermediate level device between dumb and ...
'useful'. As in access lists, command line, and the like - not just a
web interface for VLANing.)

I see refurb Linksys N600 EA2700 at canada computer for $25. 2.4 & 5GHz,
4 internal antennas, 4 GB ports. Hmmm. Viable if it were 8 ports.

 From an access / security point of view, presumably one only cares at
the point of inter-network connection (provider) - one trusting one's
own home. Since a provider is never going to be 100 Mbps up, any old
router with OpenWRT or the like should satisfy access / security
concerns. (?)

I see various switch manu/models at Canada Computer, including Adtran,
Asus, Cisco, D-Link, Engenius, HP, Linksy, Netgear, TP-Link, Trendnet,
WD. With various monikers like Home, Green, and Metal. Starting at $25.
(http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_820&item_id=030491)

In this day and age, does one just consider switches disposable, and go
with cheapest available at the time?