[kwlug-disc] Anyone interesting in going a GPG key signing?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Oct 6 22:54:29 EDT 2013

I'll bring my sheet of GnuPG/PGP information[1]. It's a handy way for
people to associate a key ID with a person.

I expect this will be an informal keysigning event, meaning there won't
be a keysigning party signing key[2] and a keyring of all participants,
and no formal declarations and introductions like this:

 Bob: "I'm Bob Jonkman, and my keyID is Delta Two Charlie Charlie Echo
Five Echo Alpha"

 Andrew: "I've known Bob since the early days, and that's really him"

Instead, I expect we'll just exchange our key IDs and fingerprints from
the little tear-off strips produced by gpg2ps (or 'gpg --fingerprint
0xYOURKEY' and copy'n'pasted), and rely on our own knowledge of each
other for identity verification.

Gordon Day wrote:

> Ideas of how to do it/what to expect:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KeySigningParty
>
> Although I think the ubucon reference isn't applicable... but the rest
> is good.

...except for the part about mandatory government ID.  The whole point
of establishing a *Web* of Trust is to not require an authority to
establish identity.  You only sign the keys of people you know, or who
have been introduced by people you trust.

I've added a few more keysigning party resources to
http://sobac.com/wiki/index.php/Guidelines_for_Key_Signing_Parties, but
most are intended for keysigning party organizers.

I also took the liberty of adding the keysigning as a last-minute event
on the Cryptoparty site: http://www.cryptoparty.in/parties/upcoming

I wouldn't mind going to a formal keysigning party, complete with a
keysigning party signing key, a keyring of all the participants, and the
formal introductions. Maybe even having a presentation on using
GnuPG/PGP with e-mail beforehand...  I understand there's a vacancy in
December.  Wait, did I just volunteer for something?

--Bob.

[1] My keysigning info document is in the KWCrypto file repository:
http://sobac.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=d29677e74871f55e431362c1172afb6f
Download it, don't depend on the online viewer -- it mangles monospaced
pre-formatted text.

[2] Signing key for the first keysigning party I attended:
keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE940E0E5
Having this signature on my key proves I was at the keysigning.