[kwlug-disc] Evaluating webhosting

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 3 09:21:17 EDT 2013

Hi,

My generic go-to web hosting companies are:

- Rimuhosting.com (good tech support if I may say since I worked there he)
- Rackspace (I'd say with Linode it's the standard VPS option, together with AWS but Amazon is for more advanced needs)
- and recently DigitalOcean.com which has SSD disks (a quick test revelaed a 10x faster write than regular disks), it's very cheap and they seem to be growing very fast, which can be good or bad regarding reliability (no long record).

For a small company that needs a bit/a lot of hand-holding I wouldn't know what to recommend since good human support time is expensive and small companies don't have a lot of money so requirements are kind of contradictory, perhaps a local small IT company?

In this particular case of WP and email, there are specialized WP hosting and also companies with point-and-click WP images provisioning.

Regarding email for a small company I'd suggest to outsource it (if owner doesn't mind making things just a bit easier for NSA), to Gmail or RackspaceMail for example. Basically you need uptime plus deliverability and mail servers (esp. the big ones gmail/hotmail/yahoo) tend to drop to the floor email messages from unknown mail servers.

Lastly, besides owning the domain name, it would be good in general to have a recipe (in shell script, Ansible/puppet/chef/whatever) and off-side (like Amazon's S3 etc) backups to be able to move the site quickly off to another one if we're not happy with our hosting.

Cheers,

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com