[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sun Nov 24 10:10:31 EST 2013

Re: "each device on copper has a full speed dedicated connection"

AFAIK not necessarily
While with point-to-point copper there is no "ether" as there is with
wifi the hardware internals in a router or switch may include a common
bus. i.e. shared media inside the box.

I doubt that two servers (A and B) streaming data to two workstations (C
and D) as in A to C and B to D at the same time through a common router
/ switch would each enjoy the maximum throughput that would be available
if only one server was streaming.

AFAIK CATx ratings were primarily the fire ratings as opposed to data
throughput. (Wikipedia here I come).
And the toxicity mentioned earlier is due to materials designed to
suppress fire traveling along a cable from a flame source to another
area in a building.

John VanO and others may be able to clarify.

Apologies: Paul (2013-10-26) says the entire thread[s] is[are] worth
reading. Maybe I should do so - before my next comment.

JohnJ