[kwlug-disc] Joining wi-fi's?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Nov 4 21:21:39 EST 2013

Thanks all.

John - not sure if you should tell one of your pests we have wi-fi, or
not. And could be a direct beneficiary of this question. (-:

I should have thought to ask in the original question ... when you've
fired up the 2nd AP with the same SSID / password - keep the same
channel, or does it matter? And, presumably, it doesn't matter if you
use the same manu/model wi-fi router, but it could be helpful?

Also ... I'm guessing, thoughts appreciated - seems to me 5GHz isn't
particularly prevalent, especially in a transitory user population
(being a gym / meeting hall), but dual band 2.4GHz is becoming more so.
So dual 2.4GHz antenna, sans 5GHz bands, useful / appropriate?

[I'm expecting to not use the WAN side, but could at need. Multiple DHCP
server being really annoying.]

The wi-fi currently in place isn't reaching the far side of a gym
(current AP is some feet / concrete walls from the side of the gym
nearest to it), let alone beyond the far side of the gym. I was
wondering if just firing up another AP was a reasonable solution. Such
may also provide some redundancy if issues arise with the current AP.

Thanks for the terms, will have to do some googling.