[kwlug-disc] Joining wi-fi's?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 4 15:14:54 EST 2013

This sounds like WDS?

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 13:01:31 -0500
From: crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Joining wi-fi's?

I added in a Wi-Fi extender a few months ago.  Both devices were by NetGear.
Here's part of the install guide that might shed a little light on this:
If your router supports the 5 GHz band, repeat steps 1 and 2 to
connect the extender to the 5 GHz band. The 5 GHz Link Rate LED on your extender lights up.The extender’s wireless network name (SSID) changes to your existing WiFi network name, with _2GEXT or _5GEXT at the end
of the name, depending on whether the extender is connecting to your WiFi network in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Existing WiFi network name: MyNetworkNameNew Extender network name: MyNetworkName_2GEXT
 To connect additional WiFi devices to your extender network, use the same network security key (password) as the one that is set on your existing wireless network/wireless router.

-- so basically when I scan my network, I now see two new SSIDs, namely network_2GEXT and network_5GEXT.  I haven't noticed any real difference when connecting to one or the other.