[kwlug-disc] Joining wi-fi's?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:01:31 EST 2013

I added in a Wi-Fi extender a few months ago.  Both devices were by NetGear.

Here's part of the install guide that might shed a little light on this:

If your router supports the 5 GHz band, repeat steps 1 and 2 to
connect the extender to the 5 GHz band. The 5 GHz Link Rate LED
on your extender lights up.
The extender’s wireless network name (SSID) changes to your
existing WiFi network name, with _2GEXT or _5GEXT at the end
of the name, depending on whether the extender is connecting to
your WiFi network in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.
Existing WiFi network name: MyNetworkName
New Extender network name: MyNetworkName_2GEXT

To connect additional WiFi devices to your extender network, use
the same network security key (password) as the one that is set
on your existing wireless network/wireless router.

-- so basically when I scan my network, I now see two new SSIDs, namely
network_2GEXT and network_5GEXT.  I haven't noticed any real difference
when connecting to one or the other.