[kwlug-disc] OT: "No I will not fix your computer."

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Nov 1 12:45:27 EDT 2013

On 13-11-01 12:17 PM, John Kerr wrote:

> So would you agree that repairing a Linux computer would be more time
> efficient?
>
> Restoring email, browsers and data would be the same effort as in Windows
> but at least the applications would be a breeze.

That can depend.  Absolutely, without question, installing and updating
Linux is *way* faster and more time efficient... Unbelievably faster.

However, the wealth of options and customizations can be it's own trap.
  I'm not really happy with any of the current Linux desktops as they
ship, and at least on my own system, end up spending way more time
tweaking and customizing to my taste.  I think it's great that Linux
offers all these UI options, and everything works amazingly well
together, considering.  (although, on a side rant, wtf is with the GTK
guys... Every new point release breaks all gtk themes, so now you have
to hunt for themes that were released specifically for the point release
of gtk shipped with your distro?? Insanity)

PS.  I don't charge bench time, because if I'm leaving a system
unattended, the process can take 1 or 2 days, since I only get back to
it opportunistically.  OTOH, I charge less for that.  If you have 3 or
more benches, you can do multiple systems at the same time, and get
better efficiency that way.  However, it's relatively rare that I have
more than 1 or 2 computers in 'shop' at the same time, since my service
business is mostly mobile, not drop in.