[kwlug-disc] Cisco Router

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jan 15 13:34:33 EST 2013

No worries on the networking John, I set it up / vetted it at one time,
'though Mike has now put a different router / configuration than mine
behind the church router. The church router is a TP-Link attached to
business Roger's; the sub-router follows the basic layout of the one I
put in prior, and is used to offer public access to the internet for
church users - much like Paul's router at a kwlug meeting. (As opposed
to internal church use which goes directly over the Rogers connected
router.) This public use is little, so any additional overhead is no
particular burden.

Mike, connect the sign to whatever point you can. It largely won't much
matter.

My guess is you intend, or it only expects, to be able to connect to
anything for configuration purposes. Do you have any expectation that it
will regularly need access to the outside world (advertising?), or
anyone other than yourself will regularly need to access it from off
premises?

(If so, this is no different than we talked about if the internal server
was set up so you could ssh into it from home. Opening up a port, as
necessary, is trivial.)

Part of Mike's original question, at least until he gets a model number
and manual in his hands, is what are the typical connectivity
requirements of, and uses by, signs these days?