[kwlug-disc] Cisco Router

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Tue Jan 15 11:05:02 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

> I have to connect a sign to a computer network. A sketch to try and
> explain what I mean. This is the present layout.
>
> Internet
> |
> | Church Router (offices) Gateway
> | | | | | |
> | PC's Administrator's PC (Controls sign)
> |My router - Uses gateway to connect to internet only, for computers
> |on the main floor.
> | | | |
> PC's Open (for Sign)
>
> Is this possible? Or do I need more equipment etc.
>
> I was wondering if I need a switch between the church's router and
> mine to accommodate the sign.
>
> Church Router
> |
> Switch
> | |
> | My Router
> | | | |
> | PC's
> |
> Sign
>
> Or is there a better way.

You didn't include subnet information. I wonder if the Church Router is a bridge supplied by the ISP or a full TCP/IP router. I don't like the idea of double NATing traffic for a couple of reasons. It's more overhead than needed and to open up a port for external access, like a sign, it means twice the work and twice the problems.

You also have to be careful of conflicting IP address spaces. Routers tend to use 192.168.x.x and many are 1.0 or 0.0 so the possibility of having overlap is quite high.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware