[kwlug-disc] Unification of the Linux ARM universe [Was: Re: Nexus7/Installation - Ubuntu Wiki]

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Jan 11 10:17:24 EST 2013

On 01/11/2013 09:43 AM, unsolicited wrote:
> On 13-01-11 09:25 AM, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> .
> .
> .
>>
>> I, for one, am looking forward to the unification of the Linux ARM
>> universe.
>
> Isn't that likely to be Android?
> (And if so, isn't Ubuntu the fragmenter, here?)

I meant at the kernel level.  There is no "x86" for ARM hardware (yet)
where you can have a single kernel image that will run on any device.
This may not be totally achievable as ARM just licenses architecture to
vendors who then "differentiate" their products.

And then there are the drivers...

> I don't expect Google will adopt Ubuntu any time soon. Samsung?
>
> Unless Ubuntu is even more successful than it has been on the desktop.
>
> And neither unless tablets take over the world?
>
> Honest questions.

From the desktop point-of-view, I would humbly claim that Ubuntu Unity
gives the best single desktop if you want the identical experience on
superphone, tablet, laptop or multi-monitor PC (and TV?).  The runner up
is the Win8 train wreck from MS.  Ubuntu on the Nexus7 behaves exactly
as I expect under all situations and is comfortably usable (so long as
the bugs stay down).  It really shows the level of thought the Canonical
people put into this design and should be commended.