[kwlug-disc] Version Mismatch Ubuntu 12.04 linux-image-generic

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 20 16:28:12 EST 2013


I will assume you have run 'apt-get update'.

I recently ran into the same thing.

Two approaches:

1. Ignore it for a few days / until the next update. Hopefully the 
repository fiddly bits and pieces will get sorted out over time and the 
next one will come down properly.

2. Uninstall the problem kernel, which will cause linux-generic to 
uninstall, then immediately reinstall linux-generic.

- this assumes repository fiddly bits confusion, be it at their end, or 
yours. If that's not true, 2. should merely land you where you are 
already. In which case, see 1.

e.g. Something like:

aptitude remove linux-image-3.2.0.36-generic
aptitude safe-upgrade linux-generic

On 13-02-20 03:56 PM, Chamunks Arkturus wrote:
> I have no idea how to remedy this issue at all.  I tried running apt-get
> clean, apt-get autoclean, rm -r /var/cache/apt/*, apt-get update, apt-get
> upgrade, apt-get -f install and I still get this issue.
>
> I was in #ubuntu asking about this issue and the one guy got terribly
> frustrated with my inability to predict what to do here as someone who has
> never dealt with this issue before I've given up on irc and am asking the
> wise ones here.  Please don't fail me now :P
>
> root at 907H2:/var/cache/apt# apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
> The following extra packages will be installed:
>    linux-generic
> The following packages will be upgraded:
>    linux-generic
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0 B/1,722 B of archives.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
>   linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 3.2.0.36.43); however:
>    Version of linux-image-generic on system is 3.2.0.38.46.
>   linux-generic depends on linux-headers-generic (= 3.2.0.36.43); however:
>    Version of linux-headers-generic on system is 3.2.0.38.46.
> dpkg: error processing linux-generic (--configure):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup
> error   om a previous failure.
>                        Errors were encountered while processing:
>   linux-generic
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> root at 907H2:/var/cache/apt# apt-cache search linux-image-generic
> flinux-image-generic - Generic Linux kernel image
> linux-image-generic-pae - Generic Linux kernel image
> linux-image-generic-lts-quantal - Generic Linux kernel image
> root at 907H2:/var/cache/apt# dpkg --configure -a
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
>   linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 3.2.0.36.43); however:
>    Version of linux-image-generic on system is 3.2.0.38.46.
>   linux-generic depends on linux-headers-generic (= 3.2.0.36.43); however:
>    Version of linux-headers-generic on system is 3.2.0.38.46.
> dpkg: error processing linux-generic (--configure):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>   linux-generic
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> kwlug-disc mailing list
> kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
> http://kwlug.org/mailman/listinfo/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org
>



More information about the kwlug-disc mailing list