[kwlug-disc] Any experience with cloudatcost.com VPS?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Dec 15 10:42:52 EST 2013

Ach. I dunno, there's been some decent ones too. At wwitpro too. e.g. An
MS Sharepoint presentation there worked out quite well - they rose to
the level of the audience. Rose above newbieness to 'what is this
beastie' and not much more, because the audience at the time wasn't
ready for much more.

VMware at kwlug was almost as good. Started out VERY sales pitchy but by
the end, given the nature of the audience, were getting right into the
technical stuff for us. Also an, in the end, good experience. To me,
anyways. But it sure didn't start out well.

Perhaps it depends upon what department they come from, and whether or
not it's a pre-packaged sales pitch presentation, vs something from the
tech. department?

Part of the problem with both groups is finding the right balance
between professional development looking to leverage work environments,
and non-professional home users looking to expand their knowledge.
Particularly that those in the profession live the ecosystem for many
hours each day and so bring a lot of background knowledge and comfort to
any seminar. While the home user often struggles to comprehend the
nature of the rather big ecosystem out there. Easy example is SANS, and
fibre, let alone non-default file systems, which the home user wouldn't
normally experience. To know it's even out there, let alone its nature
or ramifications.

Cloud is an easy example where the latter probably applies for the vast
majority - few in either camp will be directly involved in cloud
configuration, and I doubt the majority of home users have played with
vm's - it taking a certain amount of horsepower to do so, if they even
see the point for them in their home environment.

A less than deeply technical, these are the finer points of apache ini
cache configurations in your multi-homed active swap configuration, vs
'what is this beastie' and 'what buying criteria points should I care
about and how do I implement them' will likely suit the majority.

It probably depends upon which department the presenter comes from?