[kwlug-disc] What are people using to write HTML with?

John Kerr johneddie.kerr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 01:00:56 EST 2013

I wonder, Since most of the websites are run under Content Management
programs that have their own html editor, is that why we are seeing fewer
editors or editors that have not been improved on too much?

Just asking.

John

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Thanks, had lost sight of Sea Monkey.
>
> (Linspire sponsored) Nvu -> KompoZer -> Blue Griffon
> (per wp)
>
> - there was a large / long gap in mind time, eventually picked up again
> and turned into Blue Griffon. And he's trying to make a living / buy food,
> so has become a hybrid (too little functionality vis a vis the FOSS
> 'competition') with for fee add-ons. Bits that actually make it useful in
> today's environment. e.g. CSS, XML.
>
> Had been maintaining an awareness of the evolution (waiting) for some
> years, but had lost sight of things like Sea Monkey - thanks for the
> reminder.
>
> Brutal slow, like I said, on my dual-core Atom Win laptop - as I have seen
> a number of other things recently. I'm guessing due to java.
>
> Seems one gets away from some things for a while and the world keeps
> moving on in the mean time. Harumph! In this (these) cases the hardest part
> seems to be not knowing what you're looking for (e.g. what's possible, CSS,
> XML, code completion, etc. wise) until after you know what you're looking
> for / that you're already there.
>

> On 13-12-10 02:12 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>
>> I usually code HTML by hand in a text editor (pluma does HTML syntax
>> highlighting), and then run it through http://validator.w3.org to make
>> sure it's good.
>>
>> In the past I've used SeaMonkey's composer to create pages WYSIWYG, but
>> that's a lot of baggage to carry for a few pages. I believe the
>> forked-off app is KompoZer http://www.kompozer.net/ (which doesn't seem
>> to be in the Ubuntu repositories, but I'm pretty sure it used to be).
>>
>> --Bob.
>>

>> On 13-12-09 11:51 PM, unsolicited wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like I have some all but standalone .html files to write. I don't
>>> and won't be doing enough of it to remember the 'language' between this
>>> time and the next. What are people using to author .html?
>>>
>>> I need to put together a small 'app' (with very small distribution), and
>>> will probably just drop a few .html files into a shared dropbox folder.
>>> (Content is static.)
>>>
>>> Being Kubuntu, I use kwrite often enough, and kate, but I've not used
>>> them this way.
>>>
>>> Popped into Blue Griffin on my dual-Atom Windows laptop long enough to
>>> see far too slow.
>>>
>>> Because I so seldom have to do this, I do like the idea of point and
>>> click for css attributes and stuff. (Seems to me I came across something
>>> called Hot Dog long ago, but I expect there's similarly light weight but
>>> more evolved apps out there now.)
>>>
>>> This also ties in with the earlier XML thread in that a substantial
>>> portion of a stylesheet (aside from the XML calls themselves), is html
>>> and css. [Given the lack of 'involved' XML in the stylesheet, an HTML
>>> environment like this may well satisfy for stylesheets too.]
>>>
>>> Popped into LibreOffice for a moment to help me through a css hump. Got
>>> what I needed. A little heavy, though.

> [...]

Every child born increases by one the group of people Sir Winston Churchill
called the "so many", who owe so much to the group he called the "so few".