[kwlug-disc] XML / XSL / XSD/ XSLT 'development' 'environment' / 'gui'?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Dec 4 16:32:20 EST 2013

I know zero of xml. Lots of other languages, but haven't needed this
until now. No development experience in a Linux environment, well, bash
scripting. Never really made it to GUI's, either, for that matter.

I'm using AbstractSpoon's ToDoList
(http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html) - one of the only
todolists / tools I know of out there that does (infinite) subtasks.
Runs under wine. (At least mostly.)

It stores its lists in xml (.tdl files), has provided schema (.xsd)
files, a number of stylesheets (.xsl), and will allow one to execute the
transform and produce an output file, e.g. .html.

Printing is -definitely- not its strong suit, as its developer will admit.

I'm looking for something that will let me pull all these files
together, .xsd, .xml, .xsl, let me beat up on the .xsl into a revised
.xsl (in essence a report template), and output that .xsl out again. For
TDL to then use for printing.

I've seen that xsltproc is out there (msxsl 'equivalent'?), but that is
a 'filter' / pipe, not a 'development' tool. Well, other than edit a
file, feed xsltproc a schema and xml data file to produce an html file,
see what's wrong, edit a source file, repeat.

What's out there / what am I looking for that's useful for doing this
easier? At least list for me the data dictionary rather than visually
deciphering it by studying the .xsd. Preferably slicking up the 'these
inputs', 'transform', 'produces these outputs' iterations.

I guess I'm looking for an 'xml report writer'. Is there such a beastie?

I've heard of iReport and 'xml notepad 2007' but know nothing of them.
Both are windows software.

Not real sure what to call what I'm looking for to know what I'm looking
for - suggestions welcome.